Vision, mission, activities
Our vision is a world of healthy communities served by well managed hospitals and health services where all individuals reach their highest potential for health.
The mission of the International Hospital Federation consists of:
- contributing to better health for all people around the world through the advancement of appropriate and properly-managed healthcare organizations and facilities;
- contributing to enhancing the performance of health care organizations by supporting initiatives to improve their responsiveness, efficiency, effectiveness, equitable access and quality of care;
- contributing to the development of effective healthcare management;
- offering a platform for free exchange of ideas, expertise and information among the global community of healthcare organizations and management professionals;
- supporting activities leading to a better recognition of the role and functions of health care organizations in general, and hospitals in particular;
- taking positions on global issues affecting health care facilities operations; practices and policies;
- acting as the global representative of its Members in the dialogue with other global organizations.
The International Hospital Federation is a “knowledge hub” working through international events, management training courses, information services, publications and consultations, and wishes to become a world leader in facilitating the exchange of knowledge and experience in health sector management. Through the dissemination of evidence-based information, IHF will help improve patient care quality around the globe. More specifically, by offering information on the global transformations in the health sector, IHF aims to help hospital decision-makers define sound strategies, and influence policy makers in policy development.
The IHF’s vision is promoted through events, publications, networking and projects in line with the mission and values of the IHF. These activities prioritize information on the leadership and management of hospitals and health services. The focus is on both developed and developing nations and the learning that can be achieved through dialogue between countries, organizations and individuals. In order to achieve these goals, IHF collects, collates, publishes and facilitates the exchange of information and ideas on best practice in hospital and healthcare management, as well as policy and hospital strategy related issues. It assists in the creation of environments that support organizations in the promotion and delivery of healthcare. It fosters international partnerships that promote interaction among public and private hospitals and healthcare organizations, the community and commercial entities.
In addition to publications, events and projects IHF will offer other types of services to members such as acting as a bridge between members in order to facilitate and support cross-fertilization of knowledge and experience in strategy, management and leadership of health organizations, and policy development. Through networking the International Hospital Federation will support the creation of new national hospital associations and thereby ensure the involvement of an increased number of countries in its activities and an expansion of its possible membership.